The weather in LA has been unusually chilly the last few weeks, which had me seriously craving a bowl of hot tomato soup! Lucky for me on one particularly gray day, I looked through my cupboard and found everything I needed to make my own soup from scratch! I decided to add the chickpeas because firstly because, I love them, secondly because I thought that blending them would add a nice flavor and texture. I was correct, this is now my very favorite tomato soup! I topped my bowl with fresh basil and shredded mozzarella cheese, but you can do whatever you want!
Makes 4 bowls
• 28 oz can pureéd tomatoes
• 1 can chickpeas
• 1 cup vegetable stock
• 1 cup skim milk
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
• 1 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1 tsp. oregano
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 clove of garlic minced
• Pour tomato pureé, vegetable stock, herbs and seasonings into a saucepan and heat until boiling.
• Once boiling turn down to a simmer and add milk, stir well.
• Simmer for 15 minutes
• Pour half of the chickpeas into a food processor with the heated ingredients
• When mixture is smooth add remaining chickpeas.
• Combine well until all ingredients are liquified and smooth.
• Pour into a bowl, add topping and serve