*Recipe Recreated from Stacey Adimando of Saveur Magazine
It has become a habit with me to create a new and interesting dessert every Thanksgiving. This year I was inspired by the beautiful images of Saveur’s Almond Frangipane Tart. I loved how it looked and then when I read how to make it, my mind was made up. I love anything almond, so I had a very good feeling about this dessert. I also love that it was still incorporating the autumn ingredient of cranberries.
Ingredients - For the crust
• 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
• 1⁄4 cup cup plus 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
• 1 large egg yolk
• 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
Ingredients - Almond frangipane, for filling
• 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
• 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. (3.5 oz.) almond paste
• 2 large eggs
• 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 3⁄4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• 1⁄8 tsp. finely grated orange zest
• 3 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
Ingredients - For the fruit and topping
• Scant 3⁄4 cup frozen cranberries, fully thawed in a strainer
• 3 tbsp. sugar
• 1⁄4 cup raw unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
• 1 tsp. honey
• Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
Directions - Crust
• Add the butter and sugar to the clean bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl, then beat in the egg yolk. Combine the flour and salt, then add to the bowl, beating on low speed until just incorporated.
• Place dough in a 9-inch round fluted tart pan. Using fingertips, press the dough evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the pan to cover in a very thin (1⁄8-inch) layer; trim and reserve any remaining dough. Dock the dough every 2 inches with a fork. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet; freeze for 10 minutes or until firm.
Directions - Frangipane Filling
• In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar, almond paste, and 1 egg on medium speed until blended.
• Add the butter, vanilla, and zest and beat until smooth. Scrape down the bowl, then beat in the remaining egg.
• In a separate bowl, briefly whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt.
• Add to the butter mixture and beat at low speed until just absorbed. Transfer to a storage container, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Directions - Topping and Assembly
• Set a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 350°.
• Mix the thawed cranberries with the sugar; toss well.
• Retrieve the baking sheet and the frangipane. Add the frangipane to the center of the tart crust, and using an offset spatula, spread to evenly fill all the way to the edges.
• Individually place the cranberries on the frangipane in a pattern you like, leaving room between the berries. Discard excess sugar or juices from the bowl.
• Bake until the top is lightly browned, about 40 minutes. (If frangipane looks puffy in patches, don't worry, it will settle.) Remove the tart and let cool 5 minutes, then carefully transfer the tart pan to a rack to cool completely.
• In a small bowl, mix the pistachios with the honey using fingers.
• Top the tart with small clusters of the honeyed nuts.
• Just before slicing, unmold the tart and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.