When I first saw bright pink eggs trending on Instagram, I had to make my own version! Deviled eggs are one of my very favorite snacks, I also love beets, so getting to combine the two for this amazing recipe was a lot of fun. The flavor of the beet juice really adds a special element to the egg, a sweet and sourness that is surprisingly perfect. I also had to add bacon and seasonings on top, because why not? Nothing goes better together than bacon and eggs.
*I originally found this recipe on The Kitchn blog and made minor modifications and additions
Makes 12 deviled eggs
• 6 large eggs
• 2 16-ounce cans of beets (strain and use the juice)
• 1 c apple cider vinegar
• 1/3 c brown sugar
• 1 Tsp. salt
• 1 Tsp. Dijon mustard
• 1 Tbs. mayonnaise
• 1 Tbs. vinegar
• 2 Tbs. olive oil
• 2 Tbs. chopped applewood smoked bacon
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Fresh rosemary for garnish
• Paprika to taste
• Hard boil your eggs and remove the shells. (For perfect hard-boiled eggs, I use this method.) Set the eggs aside.
• To prepare the brine, pour 2 cans of beet juice into a large bowl. Add cider vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir mixture. Gently lower the peeled eggs into the brine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
• When brining is finished, cut eggs in half and remove yolks.
• Place yolks in a medium-sized bowl, and add mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, and olive oil. Mix together until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
• Using a pastry bag or a plastic bag, pipe the yolk into the now pink eggs.
• Sprinkle with chopped rosemary and bacon and season with salt, pepper and paprika.