A few months ago, I tried Gwyneth Paltrow's Middle Eastern Turkey Burger recipe and it blew me away! Seriously, they were the most amazing turkey burgers I had ever had. Whenever I buy ground turkey meat I always fantasize about making those burgers. This go around, I didn't have all of the ingredients Gwyn calls for, so I did my own version.
My burgers still turned out fabulously, as I topped them with tasty green toppings! After eating the lean turkey meat and layers of green, you will feel well nourished and strong...at least that's how I felt!
Makes 4 servings
• 1 pound ground turkey
• 1/2 onion chopped
• 1 1/2 cup spinach
• 1/2 avocado sliced
• 1/2 cup pepperoncinis
• 2 tsp. dried basil
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. pepper
• 3 slices swiss cheese
• 1 tsp. mayonnaise
• Mix chopped onions, basil, salt and pepper in a large bowl with your fingers.
• Add half of pound of ground turkey, mix well with hands.
• Add 1 cup of spinach and remaining turkey meat. Mix with with hands until the ingredients have been well blended with the meat.
• Make four patties.
• Cook patties in a pan over medium heat for about 7 minutes.
• Place patties on bread (or lettuce?) of your choice.
• Top with avocado, pepperoncinis, remaining spinach, cheese and mayonnaise.