The Church Key on Sunset has taken their happy hour menu in a new direction, straight toward the Polynesian Islands. Well aware of this bold and perhaps risky move, Executive Chef Steven Fretz is sticking behind his new tiki-fueled menu. Be prepared to enjoy an array of island-friendly cocktails and menu items during this LA winter.
The Tiki Cocktails for $9 made me extremely happy. Here are the ones I sipped...
- Blue Hawaiian: Malibu, Blue Curacao, Creme de Coconut, and Pineapple
- Polynesian Pearl: Bacardi Superior, Bekrovka, Lime, OJ, Allspice, Cinnamon, and Vanilla
- Papoy: Bacardi Superior, Thai Basil, Lime, Cardamon, and Coconut
My favorite was the Blue Hawaiian, now you know my true colors. I love rummy, sweet cocktails! The secret is out! I downed that sucker so fast...I couldn't help myself. It was so sweet, delicious and tropical. The more coconut a cocktail has the better.
I did miss out on the Odder Pops ($6), so if you try one, tell me how it is!
What made me even happier than my blue rum, was the food. The Pu Pu Platter was killer and so were every single one of the sliders I tried.
- Pu Pu Platter: Duck Spring Roll, Samosas, Three Skewers (Shrimp/Chinese Sweet Sausage and Passion Fruit, Filipino Pork BBQ, Grilled Skirt Steak)
- Salt & Vinegar Popcorn: Brown Butter and Chives
- Beef Slider: Pimento Cheese, Secret Sauce, Housemade Brioche
- Chicken "Schnitzel": Garlic Lemon Ailoli, Avocado
- Kalua Pork & Spam: Teriyaki Pineapple
- Rock Shrimp Po Boy: Pickled Egg Remoulade, Toasted Brioche
- Falafal Slider: Truffle Tahini Sauce, Tomato, Cucumber
- Brioche Donut: Brown Butter
The Rock Shrimp Po Boy was truly exceptional in my book. The remoulade was the perfect sour in contrast to the sweet and crispy shrimp. I could have eaten at least three.
Also I must pay a special homage to the best donuts I have ever had. I have had at least 100 donuts in my life and these left an emotional impact on my soul. The brown butter glaze and soft brioche dough tasted like home, a warm blanket and the best kiss you've ever had. If you do not order them, you are missing everything grand in life.
If you're a Church Key virgin, I recommend going on a Friday night so you won't feel guilty after your third tiki cocktail. If you want to get a good feel for the menu all at once, the Pu Pu Platter is definitely the way to go and maybe add a slider or two...and the donuts, duh.
For all information please visit www.thechurchkeyla.com